Due to COVID, a toddler saves a family from a deadly house fire.

All seven members of the Dahl family survived a devastating house fire in the early morning hours when the family was still deeply asleep, thanks to 2-year-old Brandon. They might not have known if the kid hadn’t told his parents.

Grateful Texas family of seven safely escapes deadly house fire.
Courtesy of Kayla Dahl

Their first line of defense, their trusted smoke detectors, were malfunctioning and not sounding the warning. Nathan and Kayla Dahl, on the other hand, had recently tested positive with COVID and had lost their sense of taste and smell.

Both of these things may have resulted in a disastrous situation, but happily, Brandon could prevent it. He went into his parents’ room around 4:30 a.m. and woke Kayla up.

“He tapped me on the back of the head in bed, coughing and saying, ‘Mama, hot.’ “Mama, you’re hot!” Kayla exclaims. Brandon was sick, so she placed him in bed in the living room to keep an eye on him during the night. At first, the exhausted mother assumed her ill child wanted out of his jammies or fewer blankets to sleep with.

On the other hand, Kayla swiftly caught sight of what was going on in the other room. Kayla tells reporters, “I turned around.” “All I saw were flames at the doorway as I glanced.” According to the Decatur Fire Department, Brandon was sleeping in the living room when the fire started.

Fortunately, ‘hot’ was one of the few words the 2-year-old had learned. Nathan, a volunteer fireman with the Alvord Fire Department, told WFAA-TV that the family’s fire emergency plan allowed them to flee in less than a minute. He stated, “We’ve had a plan.” “This is how things are going to play out.”

Dad who volunteers as a local firefighter holds toddler son on his shoulders.
Courtesy of Kayla Dahl

The family’s emergency plan and the toddler’s warning helped them reach safety just in time. “Our front door had flames pouring out of it about a minute after we ran out of the house,” Nathan told WFAA-TV. “Everything was on fire,” says the narrator.

Alvord, TX, the one-story colonial home, was tragically destroyed by fire. Despite their tragic loss, the family is thankful.

Texas family's one-story colonial home burns down after gas heater starts fire.
Courtesy of Kayla Dahl
Ashes and remains of Texas family's burned down house.
Courtesy of Kayla Dahl

“It’ll be a long, difficult path to get where we need to be and replace those material stuff,” Kayla told the Washington Post. “At the same time, I’m not sure where we would be if it hadn’t been for my son’s guardian angel that morning.”

The family has received some assistance from their community in getting back on their feet, with an internet fundraising drive providing thousands of dollars in assistance. Brandon has also become something of a celebrity in their neighborhood.

Kayla told WTVR, “I don’t think he realises the impact of what he did.” “However, he enjoys the attention.” If we go to Walmart or the gas station and someone knows us from the news, they’ll pat him on the back and attempt to shake his hand, saying things like, ‘You’re a hero!’ ‘It’s wonderful to finally meet a hero!’

Toddler who saved family from house fire hugs white stuffed animal.
Courtesy of Kayla Dahl

Please SHARE this story on Facebook to encourage others to value what is most important to them.

Facebook Comments